When people diet, they change the way they eat. I guess if you change the way you speak, you could call that a diet as well. I choose to call what I'm experiencing the South Speech Diet (not to be confused with South Beach, of course.) Instead of dropping a few pounds, you would drop a few words out of your speech. Instead of combining and condensing meals, you would combine and condense your words, creating a slur effect--a drawl. Instead of sneaking sugary sweets, you would sneak apostrophes in between random words.
I've noticed over the last few days that the way I speak has been affected by the people around me. A couple times words have come out of my mouth, and all I could think was, Did I really just say it that way? I wish I could remember what it was I said today at work that took me by surprise, but all I can remember is that it was something you would hear come out of a southerner's mouth. I remember feeling kind of happy about it as well as a little uncertain about these new changes in my speech.
Here are a few situations I've come across since coming here.
1) Nashville: I've heard it pronounced NashVILLE and NashVUL. I think the second way is indicative of someone who is a true southerner. I hope the day comes when I naturally say Nashvul.
2) Yesterday while assisting in a 4th grade class, the teacher, Mrs. Smith, praised a student for doing a good job on an informal assessment. Right afterward, another kid piped in earnestly, "I DONE GOOD, TOO!". As a teacher, maybe I should have been worried about this grammatical error, but instead I couldn't stop myself from smiling. It was so awesome. I made a mental note to write down that moment of happiness.
3) I have a cowgirl puppet that was given to me by my friend Amber. The puppet's name is Lou Etta, and she has a southern accent. When I told Randy about her, he laughed at the thought of me using a southern accent in a class full of children with the real deal. Would it be offensive to use her here? Would it seem like I'm making a mockery of the people here? Personally, I find the situation funny. I also can't stand the thought of making Lou Etta change her identity while we live here. :)

Lou Etta, keeping an eye on my students from her place on the bookshelf
4) Today I heard a student say those two special words-- "I ain't..."--and he said them with vehemence, too. "I could tell it was a regular part of his vocabulary. So classic...so wonderfully southern. I love it.
Well, that's all for now. I don't think you have to worry too much about me as I'm not an extreme South Speech dieter. I still sound mostly like me--my southern moments aren't extremely frequent yet. If there are any major developments with it, though, I'll be sure to keep you posted. Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm fixin'na go somewhar...

6 comments:
You southern woman! Don't they have accents in Texas? My dad has forbidden us to gain a southern accent while we're here. I had a co-worker tell me that when she lived in the south, she never gained an accent, but all of her thoughts were in a southern accent. That would be weird.
Here in Louisville, its about 50/50 southern accent/no southern accent. I have the hardest time understanding people on the phone that have the accent. I hear a lot of "sir" and "ma'am," which is fun. And its the same with the pronunciation of the city. You say it "Luh-vul" or "Loo-a-vul" or your an outsider.
Its fun that we're kind of experiencing this new world together.
Ahhh Janae, I'm jealous! I so badly want to live in the South! I'm glad you are enojoying life though! We need to catch up sometime!
And you thought my Utah accent was bad? You officially have no right to make fun of my wonderful Utah words anymore southerner! :-)
I love you people and that we're friends! Ems, that would be weird to only think in a southern accent. I've thought in Spanish before. Do you think we're going to start thinking in southern accents?? My co-worker has a brother in Louisville. I want her to go visit him so that I can try to weasel my way into the trip! :)
T-Time, the south wants YOU to live in it. We do need to catch up. I need to know more about your house and life in WA.
Michelleen, I still claim the privilege of teasing you according to the dictates of my own conscience, however, let you speak how, where, or what you may.
Oh my goodness- I'm so glad you're having so much fun in Nashvul! You inspire me! Someday I WILL live in the south and I think I WILL talk like all those true southerners as soon as I get the hang of it.
My favorite Southern accent moment from Dallas was when the bishop said in church, "Sence we ain't got no fuhther ward bi'niss...." Oh my, four or five gems in only the first half of the sentence!
Post a Comment