{I took out some pictures here for safety reasons.}
...to my first graders. Well, technically they aren't mine. But they felt like mine last semester--my babies. It was so fun to teach them and interact with them and watch them learn and grow. They are small and need things broken down into bite-sized pieces, but it was a great experience. I love 1st grade!




Yep, those were my kids! The girl in the picture with me was my mentor teacher, Marissa (Miss Crane). I was a little worried at first when I found out how young she was. Amber brought up a good point, though--being young means that you're fresh out of school with the latest and greatest ideas, trends, and methods. You're also not stuck in your ways like some older teachers can be. Do you think that the school kind of looks like the one in the show Recess? Farrer used to be a middle school, but they transformed it into a (very large) elementary when they demolished Joaquin Elem.
Anyway, this was a special experience for me. I was sad when it ended. That was a happy (and BUSY)time for me, but I've moved on. I still like to go see the students and Miss Crane occasionally, though.
In March I start my second cohort experience at Franklin Elementary in 3rd grade, and I'm super excited about it! Really--it's going to be fun...and a challenge. I have already visited the school and the class, and I have great principal, facilitator, mentor teacher, and class. I got to see the students in give book talks and do a brain dance. I participated in the brain dance. It's actually kind of funny, but they take it pretty seriously. I also got to be in music class with them for a bit. It should be fun. My mentor teacher Miss Sutton has a special technology certification which has given her a pretty unique allowance. There is a Mac in the classroom for every two students. She also has a Promethean Board--I have yet to really see these at work, so it will be a learning experience for me. I guess I'll be incorporating a lot of technology for the month that I'll be there.
Anyway, this was an accomplishment for me! Maybe I'll even post another one later today or over this long weekend. Have a happy one, all!

4 comments:
Whoa, I'm so excited for the Macs! Didn't know that, rock on.
Hope you had a fun Valentine's Day, dahling!
Sorry I didn't come back up to say goodbye. I stayed around for a while but then I ended up going to help Sister Wi count her inventory and just went straight to SLC. Ciao Ciao!
Loved the pics! You are going to be the most awesome teacher! BTW I took the blanket the kiddos made to Susan so it can be donated to the NAM project, Sooo cute!
Mom
Forget 3rd grade, first is the best! I love my kids and they always have such interesting things to say. So glad your mom shared your blog with me. Love ya!
Janae, you are going to be such a good teacher!
Post a Comment