Tuesday, March 31, 2009

IN OTHER NEWS...



Welcome to my new school! I got accepted to be an intern at Spring Creek Elementary starting in the fall!

On Monday morning I interviewed with panels of principals and facilitators in the Provo School District. I interviewed in two rooms which pretty much had 3 school principals in each room, accompanied by their respective school facilitators. I felt better about my interview in the first room, although the second room had my principal from Franklin in it. I really like him, and I had hoped to end up at his school. Alas, that was not my fate--and I no longer mind. I was a little unsure when I first got the call from Lynette (my liason), but not I'm really excited to be going to Spring Creek!

Spring Creek is a Title I School, which is actually all I have experienced so far in my cohort experiences with BYU. It is a new school that replaced the older Maeser Elementary, I think. It was only built in 2002, so it's lookin' real good! It's two stories tall, and it sits on the hill right about a juvenile detention center. Ha! Amber keeps saying I'll never lack volunteers because I'll have kids from the juvie who need to get their community service hours in haha. :)

Because they are Title I, they get extra money to spend on things like technology, so I will have my own Promethean Board! It's like an interactive whiteboard that's connected to the computer and a projector. See below:



You can pretty much control your computer by using an electronic pen on the board that's in the picture shown above. The large screen and projector enable you to create interactive whole class lessons. You can project worksheets and class games, create weekly flip charts of information, and of course, show movie clips at a much larger size than the average school t.v. :) I'm kind of funny about it, actually. The kids pretty much expect that I'm going to do something stupid when I use the active board. I heard the following from a student during one of my lessons: "It [the active board] always messes up when she does it!". I'm not quite tech-savvy yet, but I'm working on it! :) I believe I also get a mac laptop while I teach at the school.

I don't know what grade I'll be teaching yet. I still need to call the principal to accept the offer tomorrow. Maybe he'll tell me then. I do know that the current interns at the school are in 2nd and 3rd grade. Hopefully they'll respect my preferences and not put me above 4th!

Thanks to the fam, who fasted for me this past Sunday! Prayers were answered, and I feel good (although nervous) about my assignment.

Click to see more on Spring Creek Elementary

10 comments:

Whitney said...

That's so exciting Janae! I'm sure you'll be great.

Stolle Family said...

Congrats Janae! I'm so excited for you--the kids all think it's soooo cool that their Aunt is going to be a teacher!--love ya--Elise

Anonymous said...

We're so happy for you! Can't wait to help you get the room ready this summer. You will be an awesome teacher. You go, girl!

--- Mama

Jason Whiting said...

Janae! I love you so much. Congrats my friend. :)

Meg said...

YAY! Exciting! I love you!

Joan said...

Congratulations! What a lucky school to have you teaching there.
Joan Ginn

mo said...

Congratulations! What an exciting new adventure. Your class is so lucky to get you for a teacher!
Bonnie Oscarson

Ja and Becky said...

I knew you could do it and I'm so excited for you! You will do great!! If you need help getting things ready this summer... I would LOVE to help. Let me know. Love ya- Becky

Cherice said...

Awesome Janae!!!! YEAH!!! I am so excited for you!!! Did you wear a red suit or something :) jk YOu don't need NO red suit to get you a position.. Because you have skills... real skills! Love you girl! Thanks again for a fun weekend! Love ya!

Kara M. said...

Nannerkins! That's so awesome! I'm so excited for you! Alright! It looks like a real nice school. I've even driven past it a couple times! I love you dear! We should play soon!