

I found out the other day that my dog had to be returned to the Cocker Spaniel Rescue. Of course I don't blame my parents for no longer being able to take care of him. Still, it really stinks. I've got a lot of good pictures and maybe even little videos of him, but I don't have time right now to go hunting for them. Still, while it's fresh on my mind, I need to give an Ode to Joe:
My Joe, a cute and friendly dog is he.
Since the 8th grade, he'd been my constant friend.
Although he smells, he's really quite funny--
The squirrels in our backyard he'd always tend,
He barked at floaties circling 'round the pool,
He learned to sit and shake and roll over,
He waited without fail for his treats.
Tree leaves get stuck on him--his face of drool.
Unsupervised, he'd sneak some of our dinner--
We found him on the table with our eats.
He used to jump up on Mom and Dad's bed.
The toilet was his place for a cool drink.
I love the floppy ears upon his head.
He got a lot of grief 'cuz of his stink.
He'd sleep in my room 'til I left for school--
Then he moved to Mom and Dad's room floor.
It wasn't fun to have him in your tent--
You'd swear he'd seen a goblin, ghost, or ghoul!
I'll miss his side-by-side-with-Daddy snore.
With hope, his life'll be happy, though different.
[Written by J.E. Stolle. 5/15/09. In the style of an English Ode. Ten lines per stanza. Iambic pentameter. Rhyme Scheme: ABABCDECDE]
Love and miss ya, Joe-Man!

4 comments:
Hey Janae,
I'm sorry about Joe. Your post was written like a true elementary school teacher.
Emily
Oh how sad! We love Cocker Spaniels so looking at Joe makes me think of our little Jerusha. They are the best dogs!
Thanks for understanding, Jansie. I still find myself looking for him here in the house on occasion, and missing him. Like it or not, he became my buddy over the last 5 years. I'm glad we have lots of pictures and funny memories. --- Mama
Oh Janae... I am so sorry! Wow you have had a lot to take in the last couple of weeks. Know that i love you and am so grateful for your friendship and willingness to go out of your way for me. I truly am blessed that you came into my life. You are an amazing friend and I LOVE YOU! I'll come visit again and soon... we'll do something fun. Thank you for being you!
Post a Comment