Tuesday, August 3, 2010

i made you dis



I LOVE getting mail, so naturally this "letter" was a real treat. It came in the mail yesterday from one of my students in Provo. He mailed it to my apartment in Provo, and one of my great roommates forwarded it on to me. I was excited to read his letter--mostly because his writing is so cute. He has a Spanish accent, and his writing is very influenced by what he hears when he speaks. Although I was expecting a slightly longer note, I laughed when I saw the four words he wrote on the small, ripped piece of paper. Slightly mortified at the lack of punctuation and the forgotten "Mama Duck" (the capitalized word at the beginning of a sentence), I was happy to see that he had remembered to attach the silent 'e' onto the word "made". You might be wondering what "dis" thing is that he made for me....



....it was a cross that appeared to be part of a necklace. What a nice thing for him to send me. Though it's doubtful that he actually made it (during the school year, this student brought me several things that he "made"), I think this cross and four-word note tell me something. I hope they tell me that my students know that I care about them. This is especially important to me because the adorable, academically-struggling student who sent this to me was also one of my most frustrating students. I often found myself worrying that he would remember me as one of those teachers that he disliked because I was frequently frustrated with him or on his case about something. This is bringing me some peace on the matter. Because I remember how excited he was to give me small gifts in the past, I can imagine how proud and excited he was to send me this cross. He must not hate me after all. :) Oh, how I miss having these kids in my life everyday!

The last question in my mind: How on earth was he was able to send this letter to me from the future? :)

1 comment:

Lori C said...

How cute Janae! I think I know who sent you the letter:) I am sure he has great memories of his third grade year.