Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Tender Mercy of the Day

As of late a painting that hangs in BYU's Museum of Art has frequented my mind. I have seen it in person several times--a painted depiction of a down-and-out man during the Great Depression era. As I was writing down my job hunt woes and comparing my feelings to this figure (Maynard Dixon's "Forgotten Man")....



....I got a phone call from a friend in my new ward, inviting me to go hear somebody's music at a venue in Nashville. It was such a simple thing, but it brought a smile to my face and it helped me focus on one of the very positive things that has come from moving here--the wonderful new people I've met. I also got a call from my sister-in-law, Kristin. After calling up all her sisters yesterday, she said she thought she should call me up too. I'm glad she did. Kristin has been a major blessing to the Stolle family since she became a part of it, and I hope she knows it.

Tender mercies, spoken of in the scriptures and well expounded upon by Elder David A. Bednar, are blessings from God that help us through our personal struggles. If you look for them, you will notice them in your life. We can all be a "tender mercy" in somebody's day--as Nicole and Kristin have unwittingly been in mine. So to them and everybody out there who picks up the phone just to give someone a friendly call, or who simply says a kind word or gives a smile or does a good deed, large or small--Thank you.


The Lord does notice us, and he watches over us. But it is usually through another person that he meets our needs.
--President Spencer W. Kimball

3 comments:

Meg said...

I love that you're writing and posting again- it makes me feel so close to you even though we're far away. What a tender mercy! :)

Nicole Sheahan said...

Janae, you moving here has been a tender mercy in my life! I'm SO glad you're here. Thanks for being you and for being such a great friend.

Love you!
Love, :) aka Nicole

Janae said...

Megan-how's my baby? I bet he misses me, huh? Glad to be back. Writing makes me happy. Come visit me!

Nicole, thanks for your note! There is something that would make our friendship stronger, though....you know...sort of ease the occasional tension we have a little bit. It start with con- and ends in -tract. :)
Love ya back! -Urse