At the end of July, I went to Nauvoo, Illinois with some of the other YSAs. What a cool opportunity! I'm so glad I got to go. I'll share some pictures, and I'll try to keep my writing to a minimum. I know I tend to be a bit verbose sometimes.

Me with a statue of the Prophet Joseph and his brother, Hyrum
This is the sister missionary who gave us our tour of Carthage Jail. Carthage was my favorite part of this trip. The Prophet Joseph was kept here unjustly with others who volunteered to stay with him. What a special and solemn place!

Me at the window of Joseph Smith's martyrdom. He was shot at from inside the jail and from without its walls as well.

An angry mob burst into the jail. That bullet hole is big enough to fit your index finger through. I think another bullet broke the lock as well.

Beautiful outside view of that window. I kept an acorn that fell from the tree that is right outside that window.

Waiting for the Pageant to start
A statue of Hyrum and Joseph. I think it's of them as they were leaving Nauvoo for the last time--headed to Carthage where they would be martyred. I wish that I could go back in time and meet the wonderful people of Nauvoo!
(As a side note, I just love Hyrum! Like Nephi's brother Sam in the Book of Mormon, Hyrum was a faithful companion and a very righteous man.)

It is super pretty! It was rebuilt in 2002 on the same property as the original Nauvoo Temple. The original was destroyed by fire and a tornado after the Saints left Nauvoo.

We walked along the Trail of Hope--the trail taken by the Saints on their way to cross the Mississippi toward the west.

Along the trail, you can ready quotes in stone from the people of Nauvoo. Some tell of the freezing winter conditions that the Saints had to endure as they crossed the Mississippi.
In this picture on the Trail of Tears, you can see the Mississippi River. It would be interesting to be here in the winter when you could get a better feel for the conditions the Saints had to endure. This is absolutely beautiful, but I don't think they had the same July weather on their side when they left.
They had to leave the Temple they had worked so hard on.

The whole group in front of the Mississippi.


No comments:
Post a Comment